Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Not the Best Wind Season So Far...in Ontario

So it's approaching mid-July and this past weekend myself and about a dozen other kiters hung out at our local beach waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the wind to pick up. This has been a regular occurrence this season. Getting skunked. It's a terrible feeling, made only worse by the wind sitting at the cusp of ridable - about 11-12 knots.

Another 1 or 2 knots or so and I would have jumped into action with my 15m Element.

In my afternoon on the beach soaking up the rays, I watched three kiters launch, veer downwind, and get rescued by the local authorities. I'm glad I held back or I could have been one of those statistics and the source of many laughs and lamentations back on the beach. I've never had the experience of being rescued, and I don't wish to add that to my repertoire.

And life goes on, and the worst year of wind I've experienced in the last five years rolls on, and as I keep busy at my martial arts school, I think about the windy days of past and those to come.

Maybe it's time for a serious lightwind kite...

No comments:

Post a Comment